- Find a place to gather signatures where there may be a higher percentage of voters actually registered. Look for events, or stores that cater to a more sophisticated crowd or in areas that have higher voter turn out rates.
- Be vigilant about asking people if they are registered. be sure to let people know bad signatures can only hurt our cause, no matter how excited they are. Duplicate signatures hurt us big time. It is up to the signature gatherer to let the person know this.
- If a signature is bad, cross it out. Some people forget to sign, or fill in something. Do not ignore it. Just cross it out, and try to watch over the signers more closely. Tell people there are 4 boxes to fill out.
- If a person is not registered give them a voter registration card. If you do not have these you can call us directly and we will get you some, or you can pick them up at County Elections or the Secretary of State's Office in Sac. It does not take long to register. Either mark an "R" in the box to the left (not the right) of where the name goes, or write the voter registration # in the margin on the left next to their name. This let's us know they are newly registered.
- Be nice to people. They always want to talk to someone who smiles a lot.
- Do not ever lie to get someone to sign our petition. Plenty of people are excited about this effort. We do not ever want to mislead a voter. It is a well-written initiative, and they can read it for the details if they would like.
- Bring more than one clipboard, in case multiple people want to sign at once, and a table if you can.
- Going door to door can be a good way to get signatures. About 70% of people support this cause, so it is a high rate of success and you know they are registered to the address listed.
- Be excited. Your passion for the cause helps others to support it.
- If you want us to let people know on FB and Twitter where you are located, just email us your location in the AM and when you will be there and we will put the word out.
To volunteer for signature gathering of Sacramento County residents for PARMCA2012 email email@example.com. Help us make history and be a part of the solution. TO RETURN PETITIONS CONTACT (888) 824-6863 OR DELIVER THEM TO 2045 HALLMARK DR., SUITE 6, SACRAMENTO 95825. Call for office hours.
Thursday, February 23, 2012
TIPS for Signature Gathering
There are a lot of different ways for people to gather signatures, and a lot of places that you can find Sacramento County registered voters. In order to increase the validity rate of your signatures, it is important to make sure you are asking the right questions and making sure that people are signed up.